[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

David Segall david at segall.net
Wed Sep 5 17:05:40 UTC 2007

Andreas wrote:

> I came to the conclusion that I will try to write my own grabber, probably
> screen scraping.
Go for it! Why not start by adapting Shepherd
<http://svn.whuffy.com/index.fcgi/wiki> for your location? I know I am
sounding like a paid Shepherd promoter but I am just an appreciative
user and it seems wasteful not to use existing open source code. You may
want to rewrite it but it will provide a sound basis for learning your
requirements.
  Good thing is I may learn a new programming language and
> new markup language in the process ;) And if it turns out I'm not smart
> enough for that, I might try CTpvr. They seem to have a competing solution
> for listings. The whole Schedules Direct thing went kind of bad for me
> after seeing how people get treated who articulate any kind of doubts about
> the project, or who ask about alternatives.
>
> I also came to the conclusion that I won't ask anything on this list that
> has even remotely to do with TV-listings or just any kind of data derived
> from my MythTV system. The climate here has become quite hostile when it
> comes to those subjects.
Please ignore your perception of the "climate". There is inevitably a
vocal minority that really believe that the Recording Industry
Association and The Business Software Association are the authoritative
source regarding sharing data. There is a similar vocal minority that
believes that all data should be freely shared despite the legal
constraints in a given country. Your voice, and your proposed software,
is valuable  and it would be a shame if this list did not know about it.