[mythtv-users] Slow MySQL query after delete

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 5 19:23:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 02:59:11PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> >> I hope you're right.
> >>
> > Anybody who's likely to have enough of an opinion to say that MySQL is
> > a toy database in public is unlikely (IMO) to be swayed by that.  :-)
>
> Point taken, but I can still dream of the day when users won't
> complain.  (Not aimed at any user in particular--or even at users of any
> particular piece of software.  Just a blanket statement.)

User will *always* complain.

Those of us -- by and large -- who bitch about MySQL because we think
it's a toy database are, perforce, those who've spent enough time
looking at DBMS engines to have an opinion; we're not 'users'.  :-)

The position in which someone like a Myth developer choosing a
semi-embedded DBMS sits is much more like a mechanic working on the
personal car of a NASCAR crew chief.  It's a rough seat, precisely
because your audience is largely self-selecting.  And not for "watches
too much TV".  (Does Isaac *ever* get to just watch TV? ;-)

Cheers,
-- jra