[mythtv-users] Slow MySQL query after delete

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 5 21:06:56 UTC 2007

On 09/05/2007 04:28 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:32:11PM +0100, Peter Bowyer wrote:
>
>> On 05/09/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>>
>>> (MySQL is pretty promiscuous about which my.cnf to read; it can cause
>>> problems trying to run 2 on one box.)
>>>
>> It's really good at reading exactly the file you specify on the
>> command line with which you invoke the daemon...
>>
> I've had it suggested to me (by JT at Plain Black, whose WebGUI sits
> atop MySQL as well) that in fact MySQL will often look in places you
> didn't tell it to, and that a otherwise ignored /etc/my.cnf can cause
> problems, even if your entire MySQL install is buried in one
> subdirectory and all properly linked together (by which I mean, to
> forestall at least one extra round of noise, a daemon which is started
> with a switch to tell it where to look for my.cnf).
>
> To clarify the characterization above: this is in PB's public doco for
> WebGUI; JT didn't tell it to me personally.

And it doesn't help that various versions of MySQL have changed the
location for my.cnf (and deprecated old locations and just made things
really confusing in general).  And it doesn't help that there's often a
server my.cnf location and a client my.cnf locations (and just a
confusing mess in general).  :)

Mike