[mythtv-users] Slow MySQL query after delete

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 22:47:08 UTC 2007

On 9/5/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/05/2007 05:06 PM, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> > This is a bit of an aside, and I admit to not keeping up with this
> > sort of thing as well as maybe I ought, but I'm a bit curious about
> > whether embedding the DB prevent me from doing the forcible
> > maintenance I do from the mysql command line because it's so much
> > faster than going through the tedious front end tools available.
> > Assuming that comes to pass, will that make it impossible to directly
> > access the DB to force updates for things like the jobqueue (I've got
> > multiple not particularly stable backends, I get hung jobs a lot due
> > to dualbooting) and MythVideo.
> >
> > As an example of what I'm talking about, this query is run pretty
> > often as I rip TV on DVD collections and add dozens of shows at a time
> > to my MythVideo to flag all the shows as browseable and TV shows:
> >
> > update videometadata set browse=1,category = 2 where filename like
> > "/home/MythVideo/tv/%";
> >
> > I'd be sad to see that sort of thing be unavailable.
>
> I guess we'll find out when someone makes the time to move Myth to
> embedded MySQL.
>
> However, and I'll admit to being a starry-eyed dreamer, here, ideally,
> any effort that a user goes to to work around the UI would be better
> spent on helping to improve the UI.  Since we currently have the
> SQL-catch-all fixes available for things like you've described, there's
> little motivation to write tools/support to improve the UI experience
> for the user.  Perhaps if access to the data becomes a little less
> convenient, it will encourage more UI-fixing work.  :)
>
> Mike

UI improvements would certainly make some direct DB access
unnecessary...one that I can think of is the UI entry for the GUI
height, width, and x/y offsets.  Some time ago I was experimenting
switching between 1080i and 720p.  If I had to enter those by
scrolling through pixel sizes in the GUI, I'd still be doing it :D.

However it's hard to imagine GUI changes covering things like Ryan
describes (batch changes etc), or the endless others that
knowledgeable 'do this at your own risk' folks might think of.  It's
also hard to imagine an interface to any new embedded MySQL data
service that could handle it either.

Tom