[mythtv-users] Backend server setup/architecture advice

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Thu Sep 6 00:05:40 UTC 2007

Due to a few issues (lack of SATA ports, possible stability issues, etc) I'm
going to be changing my backend architecture.  I have come up with a few
ideas, and pros/cons to each, but am looking for some advice on which to
choose.

Current Backend:
-AMD64 X2 processor, 1gb ram
-2 DVB-T cards
-4 SATA-2 harddrives (2x300gig, 2x320gig) (this serves as my general "media
backend," only one of those drives is used for myth tv recording)
-onboard gigabit lan

I've gotten a new harddrive (only have 4 sata ports) AND am planning to add
a DVB-S card to the system very soon.  I know that I COULD add a PCI sata
card to add my new harddrive, but I'd rather not as I'll likely be running
into issues if I have all 3 tuners recording at once AND am pulling stuff
off the PCI-connected sata controller (I've had issues like that in the
past).

So I've come up with 4 proposed "overall" architecutres (based on 2
different machine setups).  Please comment on what combo I should use, as
I'm a bit lost.  My major concern is reliability.  My guy feeling is Arch 3,
as the only REAL con is that recording is over the network.

(note that the new backend will have the same processor/motherboard, so
count on gigabit connectivity and an AMD64 x2 processor)

__Arch 1__
Machine A:
-3 non-myth harddrives (various other media (mp3/dvd/avi/etc) surfaced to
frontends via NFS for mythvideo/mythmusic/mythpictures use)
-Running NOTHING mythtv related!!!!

Machine B:
-2 use-by-myth harddrives (storage groups eventually)
-DVB-T/C cards
-Running mythbackend

Pros:
-Myth is seperated from rest of system
-No sata-pci cards needed
Cons: Changes to cards/etc means NO tv is watchable (including recorded
shows)

 __Arch 2__
Machine A:
-3 non-myth harddrives (various other media (mp3/dvd/avi/etc) surfaced to
frontends via NFS for mythvideo/mythmusic/mythpictures use)
 -2 use-by-myth harddrives (exported by NFS to Machine B)
-Running NOTHING mythtv related!!!!

Machine B:
-DVB-T/C cards
-Running mythbackend

Pros:  Myth is seperated from rest of system
Cons:
-Changes to cards/etc means NO tv is watchable from menus, but if I set up
the myth harddrives under mythvideo with a link directory via
mythrename.plthen there's a "fallback plan" even though it's not that
nice.
-Myth is using network for all actions.  I do have gigabit ethernet, but it
COULD be a bottleneck if there's 2 or 3 recordings going on with realtime
commercial checking

 __Arch 3__
Machine A:
-3 non-myth harddrives (various other media (mp3/dvd/avi/etc) surfaced to
frontends via NFS for mythvideo/mythmusic/mythpictures use)
-2 use-by-myth harddrives (exported by NFS to Machine B)
-Running mysql and mythbackend as the master backend (NO tuners though)

Machine B:
-DVB-T/C cards
-Running mythbackend to record

Pros:
-"unstable" part of myth is running on different system (only instability
I've had has been when dvb cards get signal issues, etc)
-I can set machine A to do commercial flagging, eliminating HALF of the
network traffic problem from Arch 2
-EVERYTHING but live-tv is watchable through normal means even if Machine B
is "down"

Cons:
-Recording is over network
-sata-pci card needed for machine A