[mythtv-users] Import a DVD (transcode woes)

Rob Dege livemotion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:47:59 UTC 2007

I don't believe it's a file/permissions problem.  MTD places the transcode
command it plans to use in the mtd.log.  When the transcode failed, I logged
in as the same user that mythtv runs as, and ran the same exact transcode
command from the command prompt.  Transcode ran without any problems.

The problem that I'm facing is that mtd will not output additional
information as to *why* the transcode is failing when it tries to call upon
it.

-Rob

On 9/5/07, Michael T. Dean < mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 09/05/2007 10:42 AM, Rob Dege wrote:
> > I'm trying to import a DVD into my MythVideo library.  The system is
> able to
> > successfully import the movie into a file.  However, when it attempts to
> > transcode the imported file into an xvid format, the mtd errors out.
> >
> > Excerpt from the mtd.log file:
> >
> > 09:47:34: a client socket has been opened
> > 09:48:37: launching job: job dvd 1 3 6 0 -1 /myth/dvds/DELIVER_EVA_FF
> > 08:22:13: transcode command will be: transcode -i
> > /myth/temp/DELIVER_EVA_FF/vob/ -g 720x480 -M 2 -V -j 0,8,0,8 -B 0,2 -y
> xvid
> > -w 1618 -a 2 -o /myth/dvds/DELIVER_EVA_FF.avi --print_status 20 --color
> 0
> > 09:48:37: job thread beginning to rip dvd title
> >
> > 0:29:28: job thread finished ripping dvd title
> > 10:29:28: Error: Could not start transcode
> > 10:29:29: job failed: job dvd 1 3 6 0 -1 /myth/dvds/DELIVER_EVA_FF
> >

> > If I manually execute the transcode command at the command prompt (based
> on
> > the mtd.log parameters), transcode processes the imported movie file as
> > expected.  I did verify that myth points to the correct transcode
> binary.
> >
> > Mythtv - 0.20.2
> > transcode - 1.0.3
> >
> > Any ideas on why it's not working correctly from within myth?
>
> file/directory permissions?
>
> Mike

-Rob

Ben Franklin Quote: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."