[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Ramon Redondo malinon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 15:43:01 UTC 2007

On 9/6/07, Jeff Wormsley <daworm at comcast.net> wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > Besides, you don't need to redistribute it.  Just let each person run
> > the program that gets the data in the first place.  That program simply
> > has to be able to output an XMLTV file, or, with XMLTV baseline
> > compliance could even be used directly by Myth 0.20.2 or above.
>
> I think the point being that one of the problems with scrapers is that
> they cause a heavy load on a website, leading them to frequently change
> their coding to stop scraping.  By just having one or two users hit the
> website and then distribute that data to everyone else, you eliminate
> the load on the website and distribute it amongst all the other users.
> Hopefully, this keeps the website from changing so often, and gives you
> a stable source of data.
>
> It doesn't address the TOS limitations, but the poster said to ignore
> that for the moment, so consider it ignored.
>
> Jeff.

I suspect one other thought is also to utilize data available to some
people and not others, such as EIT data.  The TOS issue will probably
show up there as well...  But at least its an interesting thought.

This would also be a way to leverage the OFTEN mentioned 'Everyone in
the community enters one listing' concept, and could be a way to share
that data.  Although it would be pretty inefficient.

I honestly don't remember if the idea of exporting personal databases
(or you could say using someone's Myth database as a provider option)
came up during the last round of debate on this.  I can't find it in
the 'mooting architecture' thead.

Although, there has been quite a lot of repeats in these threads from
what was discussed before:
Why Bittorrent is a bad idea:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/276180#276180

Lots of discussions about NNTP:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/275978#275978

Hand entering data:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/276524#276524

OzTivo:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/276786#276786

Shepherd:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/276996#276996

SchedulesDirect folks contact TitanTV (note this was the first thread
that came up in a search for TitanTv in the archives):
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/283145#283145

It's not the data, its the distribution:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/276229#276229

One person scrapes to reduce bandwidth:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/276666#276666

Interesting how so much of this was covered in the 'mooting
architecture' thread, which was suggested as a reference point when
this topic came up yesterday.