[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Thu Sep 6 15:38:34 UTC 2007

John Drescher wrote:
>> I think the point being that one of the problems with scrapers is that
>> they cause a heavy load on a website, leading them to frequently change
>> their coding to stop scraping.  By just having one or two users hit the
>> website and then distribute that data to everyone else, you eliminate
>> the load on the website and distribute it amongst all the other users.
>>
> This does not address the issue that most users do not have the exact
> same lineups. With generic shared lineups I assume you will not have
> any local or regional programming info or accurate data for the big
> networks since they only have schedules for a 3 to 6 of the 24 hours
> in a day.

Well, it did, sort of.  You'd have to look at the proposed torrent name
to see that it was indeed intended to be local data.  It wasn't one
person getting all the listings for the whole of North America, but one
person getting the listing for zip 12345 on CableCo, Inc.  Then the 50
other people in zip 12345 who use CableCo, Inc would get the data from
that one person.

Jeff.