[mythtv-users] IR Blaster and Dish Network: How close does it have to be?

Bearcat M. Sandor HomeTheater at feline-soul.com
Thu Sep 6 19:10:43 UTC 2007

Folks,

I now have my lircd set up at least sending out a signal and making my ir
blaster turn red.  Nothing happens to my Dishnetwork VIP211 though.

I have noted that in pictures that the ir blaster end is taped to the
front of the receiver itself. How close does it have to be to the diode?
I'd rather not tape it there, but having hanging near by so i can control
other things too. Do i have to have it pointed "just-so"? I'd think not.

Since i'm getting nothing, it may also be my config set ups. I have a file
that i downloaded from here:
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/dishnet/Dish_Network

Since this is so recent 2/2007 i'm assuming it's probably the most
reliable one. Anyone have one that works with the dish vip211?  There's a
thread around here with one that works with the 311
(http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/expressvu/SAT_3100), but i don't know
if that's a similar model or not.

I'll mess with it some more when i get home, but now it amounts to "Honey,
hold that next to the receiver while i try this code"..."Alright let's try
this one."  This may end in divorce :) I suppose i could just tape it
temporarily.

Bearcat M. Sandor