[mythtv-users] FCC requiring cable operators to encrypt all signals?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Sep 6 23:08:46 UTC 2007

On Sep 6, 2007, at 3:58 PM, Tom Greer wrote:
> According to my contact, this is all being done in accordance with
> a new FCC mandate.  The firewire signal can only be decrypted by
> devices that will ensure that content owners copyright restrictions
> (for example,  whether a stream can be copied, how long it can be
> stored, the number of times it can be viewed, etc.)

This sounds a whole lot like the "broadcast flag" mandate.  But last
I heard the courts ruled the FCC had no authority to impose it, and
Congressional attempts to pass bills that said otherwise had not
succeeded.

IANAL, of course.  The EFF has been active in fighting the broadcast
flag mandate and might know more.