[mythtv-users] How do I customize the mythtv menu?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Sep 6 23:21:20 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Gary Raposo
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 3:35 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] How do I customize the mythtv menu?

At 05:12 PM 06/09/2007, you wrote:
>Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > On 09/06/2007 12:38 AM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> >> I know you can customize the mythtv menus by editing certain xml
> files, but
> >> I just can't seem to find the right file to edit the main menu
> screen (when
> >> settings, appearance, menu theme is DVR).
> >>
> >> Any ideas where that file resides?
> >>

> > /usr/{,local/}share/mythtv/themes/DVR/mainmenu.xml
>
>Hey, that one's mine, make your own ;-).
>
>$ cd /usr/{,local/}share/mythtv/themes/
>$ cp -rp DVR/ MyMenus
>$ cd MyMenus
>$ $EDITOR mainmenu.xml
>
>MyMenus will then appear as choice for menu theme. If you
>come up with an organization that is generally useful for others, send
>it in. So far Donovan and I have done the only ones but I thought there
>would be several by now.
>
>This is really easy. I didn't like Donovan's default menus that try to
>mix the modules in the same sub-menus to give the impression that
>everything is tightly integrated. I use myth as a DVR and don't need to
>go to a Media Library to decide if I want to listen to music or watch
>TV (hint: I'm going to watch TV and if I intended to listen to music,
>I'd go to a music menu =). I wanted to pull the most commonly accessed
>pages right to the top. I did this in about an hour or hour
>and a half on a Saturday morning and have only needed to tweak
>it a couple times since.
>
>Note that the main menu is the only required file. Other files are
>referenced in the actions:
>
>       <action>MENU tv_schedule.xml</action>
>
>So you can add more menus, consolidate things and use different files
>names if you'd like. One suggestion is that you should try to limit
>menus to six items as the themes are expected to fit six items
>comfortably. Also, it makes sense to keep the "<text>" names the same
>whenever possible so that you can keep the translations to other
>languages and so we know what screen a user is talking about when the
>send questions. And don't leave any items out even if you think you
>will never need them. At least bury them in a misc sub menu so that all
>the pages are potentially accessible.
>
>--  bjm

How about themes that don't seem to have a mainmenu.xml?  I've been
wanting to modify the blootube-wide theme but it's not obvious (to me
at least) what .xml file I should be editing.

# ls *.xml
base.xml  gallery-ui.xml  game-ui.xml  music-ui.xml  status-ui.xml
themeinfo.xml  theme.xml  ui.xml  video-ui.xml

Gary

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to add Games, get rid of status and
recording priorities (I put those in other menus), and I added videos to the
main menu. One last question...I want to have my Videos link go straight to
the video gallery, but I can't figure that one out. Right now it goes to the
videos menu where I then have to select Video Gallery

Right now, here is what I have (foreign languages look bad cause of Putty):

  <button>
     <type>VIDEO_GALLERY</type>
     <text>Video Gallery</text>
     <text lang="FR">Gallerie vidéo/text>
     <text lang="DE">Galerie</text>
     <text lang="SI">Galerija filmovTV</text>
     <text lang="FI">Videogalleriar</text>
     <text lang="DK">Film Galleri</text>
     <text lang="SV">Filmgalleri</text>
     <text lang="PT">Galeria de Filmes</text>
     <text lang="ES">Galería¿Ð¸Ñей</text>
     <text lang="ET">Filmide galerii</text>
     <text lang="RU">ÐалеÑÐµÑ Ñ
   </button>