[mythtv-users] Myth Developers ban all use of MythTV as a PVR due to IP infringement?

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Fri Sep 7 01:28:25 UTC 2007

> MythTV was founded based on screen scraping.  Myth's core developers had no
> problem with it back then.  You never saw them forbidding discussion of

 Read before you spout please. The myth devs have not told anyone not to use
screenscrapers. Nor have any asked anyone to stop discussing screenscrapers.

> You never saw them forbidding discussion of

 And you still haven't seen them forbid it so why make it sound like they have?

> scraping or even discouraging it.  To the contrary, they wrote the screen
> scrapers and showed us all how to use them.  In most countries besides the

 Actually just to be clear myth used XMLTV, and those scrapers were
written by others(Though if any myth dev submitted a patch to one I wouldn't
know).

> foot, the myth devs that are SD members are totally changing their tune and
> become ardent supports of the need to protect IP, and are now accusing us
> all of stealing if we even discuss using screen scrapers again.

 Show me where a myth dev said that? Now that being said due to the recent
issues some have become much more aware of the potential issues due
related to this sort of TOS issues, but none have accused anyone of
stealing nor told them to stop discussing it.

Don't confuse pro-SD users (sometimes a little overzealous) with
the SD board or the myth development crew.

> end IP "theft" they were all for scraping, and now that they're on the
> receiving end of IP royalties they're against it?

 The SD crew is not  making any money on this. If any one of the other
Listings companies that were approached had said yes SD would never have been
formed.