[mythtv-users] Problems after upgrade from 18.1 to 20.2

Mat Kyne matkyne at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 7 03:24:21 UTC 2007

Well I upgraded for the listings. I had been putting it off due to the "if it ain't broke . . . " philosophy, but it was time. I had been running a HDTV FE/BE combo that served 3 remote frontends on a Fedora Core 4 install forever and all was well. I decided to upgrade with MythDora 4.0, which is a very slick piece of software I might add. Installation went smoothly but the actual usage gave me 3 or 4 problems that I am working on right now that I can't seem to find on the Wiki or in the Mailing Lists Archives.  Here are the problems I am having, Sorry this is going to be a long post =).

1. The audio from live TV and recordings is spotty at best. I mean it is silent for like 2 minutes and then there is audio for a minute or two and nothing again, rinse repeat.  Sound works, I am passing AC3 via SPDIF to my receiver, MythMusic works fine, Movies stored on my hard drive with 5.1 surround work fine, old HDTV  (DVB HD3000 card) recordings played through Xine work fine (I have not tried to play them with Myth's default player because I dumped the Database when I upgraded).  I am sure that there is a config file somewhere that has a comment that needs to be either added or subtracted, but I can't find it.

2. The second problem I am having has to do with the xorg.conf  file. I know that this  topic has been discussed to death in the mailing list archives,  but mine is unique. I am using the latest Nvidia drivers in an attempt to display on my HDTV. My TV has a DVI-D port on the back and my FX5200 has a DVI out on it so I would like to get that working. In the past and currently I use a transcoder to convert VGA to Component output. My HDTV is an older Sony 4:3 HDTV CRT and according to the manual it can accept 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i all from the component inputs and the HDCP compliant DVI port. If I had a flat panel display like a LCD or plasma, I could just set the display to the default resolution, but mine can handle all the formats, so that is what I would like to use (all 3). However from what I have read, the new Nvidia drivers cancel all mode lines and output in HD standards, with options like "TVStandard" "HD720p",  But how do I get it to switch the output based on the content?  I read on the MythTV Wiki that I am supposed to use the ' Option "UseEvents" "True" ' flag in my xorg.conf file, But the Wiki does not explain what it does or more importantly where in the file I am supposed to put it.  Any Help? Here is an almost working (I think) copy of my xorg.conf file:

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "v4l"
        #Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 50.0
        VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "blank time" "0"
        Option "standby time" "0"
        Option "suspend time" "0"
        Option "off time" "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce"
        Option      "TwinView"
        Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, DFP"
#       Option      "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
#       Option      "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
#       Option      "TVStandard" "HD720p"
#       Option      "TVOutFormat" "COMPOENT"
#       Option      "TVOverScan" "0.6"
#       Option      "MetaModes" ", 1024x768; 800x600, 800x600; 640x480, 640x480;"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        Option     "UseEDID" "FALSE"
        Option     "UseEvents" "True"
#       Option     "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
        Option     "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
        Option     "TvOutFormat" "Component"
        #------------480p Group-----------------------------
        #Option     "TVStandard" "HD480p"
        #Option     "metamodes" "DFP: 720x480 +0+0"
        #------------720p Group-----------------------------
        Option     "TVStandard" "HD720p"
        Option     "metamodes" "DFP: 1280x720 +0+0"
        #------------1080i Group-----------------------------
        #Option     "metamodes" "DFP: 1920x1080 +0+0"
        #Option     "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth    24
                Modes "720x480" "1280x720" "1920x1080"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite" "Enable"
        Option  "RENDER" "ENABLE"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group        0
        Mode         0666
EndSection

It is currently only able to display at 640x480 using this xorg.conf file:

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Option  "TVStandard"    "HD720p"
#               Option  "TVStandard"    "HD480p"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.