[mythtv-users] Watching recorded shows via a webserver.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 7 03:54:42 UTC 2007

On 09/06/2007 09:10 PM, Nick Gray wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 18:01 -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> On Sep 6, 2007, at 5:58 PM, Nick Gray wrote:
>>> Just wondering if anyone has tinkered with this.
>>>
>>> I am using mythrename.pl and creating links to my original files
>>> in /video, in a directory called /video/shownames. (Very similar to
>>> the
>>> defaults for the --link function).
>>>
>>> It seems I should be able to add "/video/shownames" to my webserver's
>>> path and setup the webserver to run a command such as "xine
>>> file://video/filename " and watch movies (locally that is) with the
>>> click of a mouse.
>>>
>>> haven't had time to play with it today, but if I get somewhere, I will
>>> post it.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>
>> Yeah, it works fine. In fact, that's what I understand mythrename.pl
>> --link is for. So you can play a video without having to know the
>> channel id and timestamp.
>>
> I meant the other part, setting up the weblink/xine functionality.

I set it up like that on my system to see if it would be an easier way
to copy TV to my laptop before trips.  Even with the "Save link as...",
it downloaded the file before it would try to play it back (i.e. Firefox
downloads the file to a temp directory and passes the location of the
temp file to xine--it doesn't tell xine to play it from the web
location).  Though there may be a way to make sure it will pass the URI
to the media player, I don't know what it is.

It also turned out that due to inefficiencies of HTTP for transferring
binary data (i.e. encoding the binary as text makes for a larger
download, which slowed down the transfers--still faster than realtime
playback, but when copying 30-hours of TV to the HDD for playback while
sitting around airports, not ideal) and the
not-made-for-downloading-files design of browsers (either click one and
wait or tell the browser to download them all at the same time, which
slows the process down--though I'm sure there's a Firefox plugin that
could help with that), scp was still easier, so I only copied one file
using the webserver approach.  (And, I no longer even have it set up
that way.)

Mike