[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

kijuhty kijuhty kijuhty at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 05:34:19 UTC 2007

>> due to NON-MYTH users using the data for commercial purposes.

Which non-myth users?  I've heard that said many times, but nobody's ever
said *what* non-myth software was using dd.

Try to think about this like a rational adult.  Tribune did *NOT* start DD
because they were charitable and wanted to help the foss community.  They
started DD because it was costing them more money to deal with scrapers than
to just give the data for free.  That is even more true now since the Myth
community is bigger now than it was 5 years ago.  If it was cheaper to deal
with scrapers than to give DD for free, they wouldn't have created DD.  So,
when Tribune threated to "terminate" DD, it the community responded "ok,
we'll go back to scraping because we won't pay", then Tribune would have had
to go back to giving DD for free, because they already know it's cheaper to
do that than to deal with the scrapers.