[mythtv-users] Nvidia 6200 S-Video gives a Black and White picture.

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 10:39:34 UTC 2007

> II was actually using a monster Svideo cable that's currently working
> on the "old" frontend.   I tried this and an Svideo to Composite
> converter cable with the appropriate settings.. neither of which worked.

So just to be clear,  you're using the same TV and S-Video cable as
before.  A different computer box and graphics card and a new software
build?

And the symptoms are?
VGA output fine, S-Video output "black and white", Composite nothing
(is that using an S-Video to composite converter or does the card have
composite outputs).

It's looking, to me, like either you've got a defective graphics card
or your xorg.conf is broken.  Did you look at the Xorg.0.conf file.
If there's a bit like this

<snip>
(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NvAGP" "3"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TVStandard" "PAL-I"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "XvMCUsesTextures" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(**) NVIDIA(0): Forcing SVIDEO output
(**) NVIDIA(0): TV Standard string: "PAL-I"
(**) NVIDIA(0): ConnectedMonitor string: "TV"
</snip>

That would confirm what the box is trying to send.

I'd be inclined to remove any twinhead and VGA bits from xorg.conf to
try a get a simple TV-Out setup working (unless you know more than me
about tweaking xorg.conf files) Backup xorg.conf first of course.

Maybe posting more of your xorg.conf would help?