[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

David Segall david at segall.net
Fri Sep 7 12:18:49 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:39:34PM +1000, David Segall wrote:
>>> How many of them are legal to scrape?
>> All of them! If scraping was against any State or Federal law then
>> Google would be in jail. Your next question is "Could the site sue me
>> for violating their copyright or their terms of service?" The answer is
>> possibly yes but the most they could obtain is the negligible amount you
>> cost them by scraping. In any case, they would write to you first asking
>> you to stop and I suggest you agree because they probably have "free"
>> in-house lawyers and you don't.
>
> This used to be true.
Exactly which sentence in my post is (now) not true?

> Copyright used to be *strictly* a civil issue.
>
> It's not anymore.
Those two sentences are true. If scraping is an illegal copyright
infringement Google could not escape prosecution simply because no one
is complaining about their activities. Not only are they scraping but
they are storing the result of their scraping in their own database and
they are reformatting it and profiting from the results. They are doing
exactly what a MythTV user wants to do except that the only "profit" for
a MythTV user is having a locally stored TV Guide.