[mythtv-users] Myth Developers ban all use of MythTV as a PVR due to IP infringement?

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:27:41 UTC 2007

On 9/6/07, kijuhty kijuhty <kijuhty at gmail.com> wrote:
..snip..
> So, the question is: Is it really the case that the SD guys have suddenly
> "seen the light" and decided it's crucial to protect the intellectual
> property of organizations like Tribune?  Or is it this the evidence of
> blatant, irrational selfishness in that when they were on the 'receiving'
> end IP "theft" they were all for scraping, and now that they're on the
> receiving end of IP royalties they're against it?

*sigh* If one takes off one's tin-foil hat, it's clear that the DD
service was canceled.  The SD folks scampered to get an agreement w/
Tribune so that we can all still enjoy listing data.

It's in the project's best interest to promote SD as the primary
listing source, not because it's making 'mad ca$h' for the SD guys,
but because it provides the best experience for the majority of Myth
users. (Scrapers are less reliable.. yadda...yadda..yadda..)

Personally, I believe SD when they say that they're not making money
on the venture.  So, it's not about them being "selfish" or their
ability to 'receive royalties'.

It's "crucial to protect the IP" of Tribune to keep good listing data
available to all Myth users.  If Myth (and SD) aren't seen by Tribune
to be enforcing Tribune's IP, then SD will go away and we'll be stuck
with screen scrapers as our only option.  They may work, but they're
not as usable as SD.

--PhillW

P.S. That said, I still think a healthy discussion of screen-scrapers
and alternative listing options is..... healthy.