[mythtv-users] Digital channel ordering

Ron Garrison ron.garrison at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:34:11 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Nedim Cholich <mythtv at cholich.com> wrote:

> On 9/6/07, Ron Garrison <ron.garrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  On 9/4/07, Nedim Cholich < mythtv at cholich.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  I was lucky to have tone of digital channels on my cable (QAM) when I
> > > moved so I got the HDHomeRun recently to complement the pvr500 I already had
> > > in the system. For the last couple of days I was going through the ordeal of
> > > mapping channels to their real numbers/names.
> > >
> > > Back when I had hd2000 I remember digital channels showing up
> > > correctly in FE. Like, 4 WNBC comes before 4.1 WNBCHD etc. Now I have
> > > channels sorted seemingly in random order. The SD channels are sorted fine,
> > > but digital channels are all over the place. I triple checked my ordering
> > > preferences and for the life of me I can't figure out what logic FE is using
> > > to sort the channels. I tried numbering digital channels like 4.1 and
> > > 4#1.
> > >
> > > The only thing that worked properly was giving digital channel the
> > > same number but different call letters, i.e. 4 WNBC, 4 WNBCHD and
> > > different xmltvid. Then they showed up together. Is there any problem with
> > > having different channels have the same channum? Is there any other way of
> > > doing this? To make things worse Mythweb is behaving differently and using
> > > this scheme makes digital channels disappear in the listing (they are still
> > > there in the channel lineup). I guess Mythweb only uses channel numbers and
> > > since there are duplicates, it removes the new channels.
> > >
> > > Is the problem coming from the fact that channum in the db is varchar
> > > and not a number, so 'order by' doesn't work as expected
> > >
> > > Overall, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with HDHR so far. The
> > > only glitch is that most of the time watching live HD program is not
> > > possible due to hickups and lag. Oddly enough watching same program on my
> > > laptop in vnc over wifi works better!? I guess there is no disk r/w
> > > involved. But recorded show play beautifully with no problems so far (cross
> > > my fingers).
> > >
> > > Thanks for any insight.

I don't believe so.  Another way around it might be to hand edit your
database.  It seems that if the channel is ATSC it orders by
atsc_major_chan/atsc_minor_chan, but if not  (and
atsc_major_chan/atsc_minor_chan= 0/0) it orders by channum.  The problem is
when your analog channel 29 (OTA) is at say cable 8.  Then I would want my
digital channel to be at 8.1 not 29.1, but Myth will put it at 29.1.  So to
fix it you would meed to "move" your analog equivalent to 29 (and move
whatever your cable company located at 29 to some other place).

BTW - if you do compile yourself - you will need to make sure that
atsc_major_chan/atsc_minor is 0/0 and that n.1 is in the chan_num column in
your database otherwise Myth will try to order by
atsc_major_chan/atsc_minor.

Here is a link to a recent discussion where some of the developers/users
addressed the issue:

http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-August/189882.html

Ron