[mythtv-users] Digital channel ordering

Nedim Cholich mythtv at cholich.com
Fri Sep 7 14:36:39 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Ron Garrison <ron.garrison at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Great, so I'm not crazy afterall.
> >
> > Do you know if the patch every made it to the trunk? I'm not too keen on
> > compiling my own packages.I just got the BE rock solid again.
> >

> Again with the proper quote this time  - sorry...
>

>  I don't believe so.  Another way around it might be to hand edit your
> database.  It seems that if the channel is ATSC it orders by
> atsc_major_chan/atsc_minor_chan, but if not  (and
> atsc_major_chan/atsc_minor_chan= 0/0) it orders by channum.  The problem is
> when your analog channel 29 (OTA) is at say cable 8.  Then I would want my
> digital channel to be at 8.1 not 29.1, but Myth will put it at 29.1.  So
> to fix it you would meed to "move" your analog equivalent to 29 (and move
> whatever your cable company located at 29 to some other place).
>
> BTW - if you do compile yourself - you will need to make sure that
> atsc_major_chan/atsc_minor is 0/0 and that n.1 is in the chan_num column
> in your database otherwise Myth will try to order by
> atsc_major_chan/atsc_minor.
>
> Here is a link to a recent discussion where some of the developers/users
> addressed the issue:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-August/189882.html

So since channum is used solely as a convenience to user (as a visual
indication and means of navigating) would it be too crazy to just treat
channum as a number (float?) and sort on it. Changing channum doesn't seem
to affect BE too much as far as recording and EPG. So people could renumber
their channels and have them sorted the way it should be sorted. With
possibility that I will simplify things to the point where I'm talking
nonsense, I'll say what does the whole atsc_major/minor mambo-jumbo have
anything to do the with channel ordering?