[mythtv-users] Myth Developers ban all use of MythTV as a PVR due to IP infringement?

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Sep 7 18:32:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 01:45:20PM -0400, James Gutshall Jr wrote:
> On 9/7/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >
> > As always you are free to do what you want however this thread is now
> > flagged for auto deletion as feeding the trolls does no good. If the
> > troll wants to scrape web sites let him, I prefer to receive high
> > quality listings at a very reasonable charge. After all, if you cannot
> > afford $5/month you should not be building PVR systems, you probably
> > should not even own a computer, you should be out there working your
> > butt off making a living.
> >

> I strongly disagree with this comment.  I for one do work my butt off.  I
> have a family, bills, and a kid.
> The "cannot afford $5 per month" may not specifically be not having the $5.
> it is the fact of justifying spending the $5 for listing data versus
> spending it on your family.
>
> I have older hardware, dont have a xbox360/PS3/iphone/etc, and trade for
> most my equipment for programming services, etc and thus writing a custom

    IOW, you're so hard up that you can't afford wasting $5 on something
but you're still willing to take the opportunity cost hit of not trading
your labor for something more useful than computing hardware.

    Being unable to spare $5 means that you should be doing without cable,
cell phone service and probably even internet service. The extra cost of
power consumption of your computers and any other electronics you might have.

     You can't even go out to lunch with potential clients and coworkers.
You probably can't afford proper nutritional food like low fat meats and
fresh produce.

> solution for myself does not mean I am anti-SD.  I applaud their efforts for
> bringing a solution to the masses.  however, at this time, I cannot justify
> the money for one of my "play toys" as my wife calls it.  Does that make

     Well, if your wife thinks that a Tivo or Tivo equivalent is a "play toy"
then you've got a different sort of problem.