[mythtv-users] Which schedule rule wins?

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Sep 7 20:36:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 04:03:55PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 12:25:50PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> > On Sep 7, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Kevin Hulse wrote:
> > > I have found that this causes certain shows to monopolize the tuner.
> >
> > I know what you mean, but I deal with it by lowering the priority on
> > certain shows.  For example, I have a rule to record The Simpsons on
> > any channel.  I like The Simpsons, but it's on *somewhere* pretty
> > much 24/7.  So I have this rule set a -1 priority.  I also have
> > chosen an expiration policy that's priority-weighted, so Simpsons
> > episodes don't push everything else off the disk.
>
> This leads directly to a question my sister just asked me last night:
>
> If more than one schedule rule, with different parameters for things
> like priority, or storage group, or recording profile, or what have
> you, match the same recording, which one wins?

...this reminds me.

There needs to be another layer of priority beyond what's there now.
There are rule types currently and those deal with a lot of these
types of conflicts.

What I would like to see is another level beyond that where the
more specific rules get applied first. The scheduler should also
allow more specific rules to be created even when a less specific
one exists.

Presently, MythTV will point you at the more general rule if you
try to create a more specific one. It's somewhat annoying. It's
no biggie for me because SQL doesn't frighten me. Bound to annoy
the less hardcore users.