[mythtv-users] linux updates suck

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Sep 8 22:07:31 UTC 2007

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> Just updated my feisty fawn mythtv install using the pre packaged
> updates, now lirc doesn't work. Neither does nuvexport even after
> reinstalling it (i'll do another thread for that one)
>
> This is why I am so hesitant to do updates in mythtv. Why can't linux
> updates go right...ever? This is probably the 20th time or so that I've
> tried doing updates in linux over the past year, with a few different
> distros even, and every single time, it seems like something that was
> working just fine now no longer works and need fixing.

Why are you updating something that is "working just fine"?

> At least it didn't break myth (except i had to restore several backed up
> files due to mythweb settings getting reset, and my custom xml menu got
> deleted, so i had to do that again too, but my sound still works (unlike
> the last time i did a packaged update)
> {end of rant}

Updating a working system is always potential trouble, especially if you
are updating the kernel. Unfortunately you may have been caught by
kernel changes that effected things that Myth depends on.

You need to always be prepared, by backing up all data, including your
database, to completely re-install the system.

Myth has never claimed to be a production grade system. The <1.0 version
number is an honest assessment by the developers.

If you need a Linux operating system that has commercial-level support
and well-tested "upgrades" such distributions are available, the Feisty
Fawn is definitely not one of them.

beww