[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Sep 9 01:04:27 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 11:42:05PM -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> So there is no need to discuss scraping, nor any reason why you should
>> encourage others to do so.
>
> Well, R.G.... scraping is still a time-honored practice... pretty much
> everywhere except the US.  It's like hacking: it's a skillset and
> practice that can be used for good or ill.

Agreed. Absolutely.

> I wouldn't like to see it get tarred with a black brush, even if we
> would prefer that people talk about it somewhere else.

Exactly. Just NOT HERE. The US, sometimes referred to as the 'litigious
hates' has some for the most obnoxious copyright enforcers in the world,
and they are aided and abetted by the DCMA. Unless the RICO
counter-claims in Anderson (?? I think that's the name) teach them a
stiff lesson, there is no indication that the RIAA will stop being
idiots. And their definition of 'fair use' clearly does not encompass
what we do with "their" tv shows and our Mythtv setups.

None of which would directly affect me, as I'm a Canadian, except that
then SD might get hit in the crossfire. And I kinda like having a good
feed of data, without the problems that scraping has..

Geoff