[mythtv-users] RRe: Free US/Canada Listings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Sep 9 04:41:27 UTC 2007

Rod Roark wrote:
> Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 21:04:27 -0400
> From: "R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org>
>> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>>> Well, R.G.... scraping is still a time-honored practice... pretty
>>> much everywhere except the US.  It's like hacking: it's a
>>> skillset and practice that can be used for good or ill.
>> Agreed. Absolutely.
>>
>>> I wouldn't like to see it get tarred with a black brush, even if
>>> we would prefer that people talk about it somewhere else.
>> Exactly. Just NOT HERE.
>
> Sounds like you are dictating policy for this list.  Are you a list
> moderator?
>
> If not, do the moderators share this viewpoint (censoring discussion
> of scrapers)?
>
> I sure hope not.
>
> Rod
I am not a moderator. There are no moderators. This list is unmoderated.
Among other things, that means that discussions which a number of people
  do not want to take place on the list are discussed on the list,
despite  objection.

I do not 'dictate policy'. I have not attempted to 'dictate policy'. All
I have done is ask that techniques extraneous to mythtv, and of dubious
legality not be discussed on this list. Scraping is not a core function
of mythtv. There are other lists and channels in which scraping is the
focus. Those lists are a better place for that discussion. Period.

Geoff