[mythtv-users] Creating and using subfolders under the /video directory

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Sep 9 05:57:03 UTC 2007

On Sep 8, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Nick Gray wrote:

> All,
>
> I looked on the Wiki and through the old messages and couldn't find
> anything about creating and using subfolders/directories under the
> main
> storage directory.  I would like to sort my stuff by catagories after
> the fact (i.e. Dad's Stuff)
>
> Also Is there a way to "easily" shows to the database so that they
> show
> up in the list of recorded shows. I have a lot of commercials that I
> want to be able to call up and show to people.
>
> Thanks Nick

The built-in functionality would be to use recording groups. So if
it's a Dad show, you can set it to the Dad recording group. When mom
watches something, it goes to the Mom group. (You make up the group
names). Then in the recorded programs screen, you can choose to
display a single group or all programs. There is no current way to
break it up automatically into sub-folders on your disk. I suppose
you could create shell scripts to move the recording to a particular
sub-folder and use that along with the recording groups feature to do
both of those things, but since the metadata will keep them separate,
I don't really see a point in moving them to different directories
but you may have a reason.

-Brad