[mythtv-users] RAID versus Drobo

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 15:08:31 UTC 2007

> As I see it, the SATA based RAID would be nice for it's simplicity and
> speed.  The motherboard I will be using should support dual RAID-5
> setups offering me tons of space with 750GB drives.  It may prove more
> costly to run, however, if the drives don't spin-down when not in use.

Unless you paid $500 or more from the motherboard it is very unlikely
that it supports hardware raid5. Most motherboards use fake raid
(proprietary software raid) which is in most cases worse than the
software raid that is built in to windows. The only real advantage to
fake raid is that you can run windows and linux on the same box and
they can both use your drives.

>The Drobo is interesting because it is hot-swappable and expandable.
Linux software raid is expandable and  likely that your drives are
also hot swappable as I hot swap drives at work every once and a while
and I have been doing so since 2004. Although I guess the the key here
with the Drobo is that its simple to use.

John