[mythtv-users] No /dev/lirc

Don Doumakes doumakes at loganet.net
Sun Sep 9 16:28:20 UTC 2007

Peter Watkins wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 01:16:02AM -0500, Don Doumakes wrote:
>
>>Peter Watkins wrote:
>>
>>>If you're using the StreamZap USB receiver, you want the
>>>lirc_streamzap kernel module, not lirc_mceusb2.
>>
>>Beautiful.  Now there's a /dev/lirc0, and irw runs without blowing up
>>lircd, which is definite forward progress.  There's no output to the
>>console when I press buttons on the remote, though.  Guess I could use a
>>second clue.
>

> You're running irw as root (for now)? Does the LED on the StreamZap
> receiver illuminate when you send codes? Have you tried other remote
> controls you have lying around? (I actually have not used the StreamZap
> remote itself; my universal remote emulates the old Hauppauge PVR-350
> remote that I used in my first MythTV system.)

Yes running it as root, but it also works as the mythtv user.  And by
"works" I mean yes, the LED lights up when any remote at all is pointed
at the StreamZap, but no output from irw, which is troubling.

>>lsmod | grep lirc
>>lirc_streamzap         17540  0
>>lirc_dev               18504  1 lirc_streamzap
>>usbcore               154416  7
>>pl2303,usbserial,lirc_streamzap,usbhid,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
>

> That looks right. My Feisty system has other modules depending on
> usbcore (to be expected), but that's what my module list looks like,
> including the size column.

Perhaps I should just write off the unexpected behavior from irw, and
set up a lircrc then.

--
Don Doumakes