[mythtv-users] RAID versus Drobo

Eric Robinson ryunokokoro at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 23:04:28 UTC 2007

Wade Maxfield wrote:
>> I guess my question about the Drobo really boils down to the
>> throughput.  Is USB 2.0 fast enough for HD content storage in a Myth
>> setup with multiple Frontends?
>>

> The question isn't if USB is fast enough, it's whether the Drobo is
> fast enough. You might want to check out a review of a Drobo, the USB
> 2.0 bus doesn't seem to be the limiting factor in throughput.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/storage-robot-at-your-service-a-review-of-the-drobo.ars
>
>   - Wade

Very true.  Tom's Hardware did a review of the thing a while back, too,
and even have a spiffy little graph to show the speeds.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/27/meet_drobo/page10.html#performance

It appears that reads and writes tend to stay under 20 Mbps.

So I guess the real question is: If I'm planning on a large disk setup
(RAID or what-have-you), what is the minimum throughput (in Mbps) for an
HD based Myth implementation?

- Eric