[mythtv-users] Master backend MUST have tuner?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Sep 10 13:17:52 UTC 2007

Darryl Ross wrote:
> Bill Williamson wrote:
>> Is the limitation stated in the doco that the master backend MUST have
>> at least one tuner true?  Is there any way around it?  Or is it just a
>> legacy entry still in there.  I ask because I want my master backend
>> (the one the frontends talk to) to only be a fileserver and mysql database.
>
> I've been running my system with a tuner-less master backend now for
> about 18 months without any issues.

Is there a case here for separating the backend (ie tuner driver) code from the
scheduler code, which is what I suppose the rest of the backend consists of? How
much of the scheduler (whatever) code is used by a slave backend? The above
comment proves that the backend can exist without an attached tuner. Slave
backends are presumably the reverse case. Would separation simplify the code base?

Mike Perkins