[mythtv-users] Mythweb Schedule filtering question

Brian Walter blwalter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 19:39:44 UTC 2007

Craig Huff wrote:
> On 9/8/07, *Jay R. Ashworth* <jra at baylink.com
> <mailto:jra at baylink.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 10:50:01AM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
>     <snip>
>     > The difference is whether or not showings of old episodes are
>     > included in the recording list. Which new episodes will record
>     > will be exactly the same for either of these options.
>
>     > 'New episodes only' matches all the showings for the rule then
>     > in the 'place' phase, marks the showings that are more than 14
>     > days past their original air date as "r". 'Exclude old episodes'
>     > doesn't match for any of the showings more than 14 days old
>     > so these are never clutter in the recording list. Both of these
>     > approaches are valid and may or may not be what the user expects
>     > to see.
>
>     > For example, "Saturday Night Live" is on once a week on NBC but more
>     > often than not, they are repeats. I use 'New episodes only' so that
>     > repeats are listed marked as "r". I can look at the description and
>     > decide if I want to re-record it if I'd like.
>
>     > "Mythbusters" has two showings of one recent episode "Mythbusters
>     > Revealed" which I've already recorded but there are 49 showings of
>     > "Mythbusters" episodes in my listings. I don't want to have about
>     > fifty "Mythbusters" in my list all the time when I won't consider
>     > recording these. By using 'Exclude old episodes' the list only
>     > includes the two showings of the new episode.
>
>     > Further, because the scheduler will only consider new episodes with
>     > either of these options, I can go to the 'Previously Recorded'
>     page in
>     > mythfrontend and remove all the old episodes for "Mythbusters"
>     rather
>     > than accumulating hundreds of these over the years.
>     >
>     > As I said, either of these are valid and may be what you want but
>     > for each of them, only the showings for new episodes are eligible to
>     > record and the same showings will be scheduled if you use one or the
>     > other of these options.
>
>     I apologize, Bruce; I was hoping that by the end of your message
>     I'd be
>     able to pry out the difference in meaning between new/old. is/isn't
>     repeat, and we've recorded it/we haven't, but I couldn't *quite*
>     do it.
>
>     "New episodes only" and "exclude repeats" are *separate* checkboxes,
>     right? (I'm not near my machine.)
>
>     "Exclude repeats" is pretty clear: if the R flag is on the listing
>     record, skip it.
>
>     But what, exactly, is the definition of "New episodes only"?  "Ones
>     we've never recorded *here* before"?  (This isn't idle query; I
>     want to
>     get the right answer into the User's Manual ... where I see that it is
>     not, at the moment.
>
>     Cheers,
>     -- jra
>

> Jay,

> [...]
I think that's it.  I just played around with it in MythWeb, based on
this conversation, and noticed that series re-runs had the little
'broken box' outline for repeats when 'New episodes only' was used.
This implies that it got added, then, marked as a repeat.  When I went
back and changed the filter to 'Exclude Repeats', the episode comes up
in mythweb with no markings at all...

Brian