[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 11 02:24:03 UTC 2007

On 09/10/2007 12:02 PM, David Segall davidsegall.net wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>> I do not want Myth to be tarred by
>> the FUD which the IP 'owners' could throw. And the existence of SD as a
>> legal allowed structure for obtaining tv listings data removes the
>> 'need' for the use of scrapers in North America. So there is no *need*
>> for scrapers to be discussed here. So lets not give them an opening.
>>
> For those that risk their life and liberty in a repressive society "lets not give them an opening" is an understandable reaction. In the United States, where the worst the list maintainers face is a letter from some corporate lawyers demanding that they stop, I think self-censorship is inexcusable.

Says a guy who wouldn't be on the receiving end of said C&D letter, nor
on the hook to cover any attorney's fees or other expenses that may
result from upsetting a corporation whose pockets are deeper than his
(and, conveniently, already lined with on-staff attorneys).

Some have said that it's not fair to tell others to pony up $15/3mos for
SD without having intimate knowledge of that person's financial and
personal situation.  So, how can it be fair to tell the devs to do
something which could cost them thousands of dollars (potentially even
bankrupting them)?

Mike