[mythtv-users] Apple X11 or XDarwin?

Eric Robinson ryunokokoro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 16:32:53 UTC 2007

Steve MacLaren wrote:

> On 9/10/07, *Eric Robinson* <ryunokokoro at gmail.com
> <mailto:ryunokokoro at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     > Yikes - that does suck?!  Are you using precompiled binaries, or
>     > building yourself?
>     >
>     > I read through your list, and I am having none of those problems
>     with
>     > my mac Mythfrontend.  I am currently running the 0.20.2 universal
>     > binary from thesniderpad.com <http://thesniderpad.com>
>     <http://thesniderpad.com>; however, I
>     > have also used other intel binaries available on the web without
>     problems.
>     "Other Intel binaries"?  Care to expand upon that?  Where would
>     one find
>     such treats?
>
> I have used the builds posted here:
> http://padilla.net/mythtv-osx <http://padilla.net/mythtv-osx>
> however, there is no 0.20.2 posted yet - so it was fortunate Craig and
> David were able to post a universal build on David's site.
>
> BTW, I am also a fan of Remote Buddy - I use a wiimote with my mini as
> a virtual mouse on the big screen.  However, do you notice an issue
> with RB and myth during playback of either a recording or a video?  It
> seems to me that myth is somehow suppressing RB such that you either
> have to wait ~15 seconds for the remote command to be processed, or
> double- or triple-press the remote key...

I haven't actually purchased a copy of Remote Buddy yet.  It's a nice
option that I've thoroughly investigated for other purposes (including
Wiimote use).  I gave a talk using Keynote and the Wii Remote
(interfaced through DarwiinRemote.app) on my PowerBook.  I really liked
the way it worked.  Probably won't be using the Wiimote for Myth,
though, as they just eat batteries (plus we have the Wii).  Remote Buddy
enables a lot of other IR remotes, though.

Interesting to hear about the RB-MythTV issues...  I'll have to give it
a try once the Myth network is set up.  Have you tried it with other
remotes?  Like the Apple Remote?  Maybe it's a Wiimote issue...

If Myth-on-the-Mac turns out to be not-quite-there-yet then we'll run
Linux on the Mini's in the meantime.