[mythtv-users] Advice - Upgrade Backend/Frontend combo or new dedicated frontend

Kisner, Thomas tkisner at necunified.com
Tue Sep 11 16:54:20 UTC 2007

I just joined I group because I was seeking some advice.  My current
setup is:

A Frontend/Backend combo, running an Athlon 64 3000+ (1 Gig ram), 2
Air2PC tuner cards, Nvidia 6 series AGP card, component connection to
HDTV.  Currently, I have to use Xvmc because the CPU just can't handle
displaying the HD video.  I'm currently using Ubuntu Fiesty.

I originally was trying to build it as cheap as possible with as many
parts I had laying around, because I had to do a "proof of concept" for
my wife.  It's been accepted and running well for 6+ months now, so that
fear is gone and I would like to get rid of Xvmc and possibly add
another tuner.

I was thinking to make my current box a dedicated backend and move it
into the closet, and get a smaller (micro ATX) dedicated frontend.  But
the frontend would have to be over wireless.  Does anybody play HD 1080i
to a frontend over wireless (802.11 B or G)?  Does it work well?

Or should I just upgrade the box?  How much processing power do I need
to record 2 or 3 things in HD and watch something pre-recorded in HD,
with commercial flagging presumably going on at the same time?  Would an
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ do?

Thanks!

Tom