[mythtv-users] Written proof that we've all been conned about SD

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Sep 11 19:31:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 12:58:32AM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 09:27:27PM -0500, Robert Eden wrote:
> > On 9/10/2007 8:59 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > > This would include Lear Jet rental, "entertainment" costs (assuming you
> > > actually discuss business with the hookers), Food, "beverage" etc.
> > >
> > Darn.. I knew I picked the wrong board to join.  We've only had some
> > conference calls (and they were from a free CC service).
>
> Smart arse.  :-)
>
> I'm reasonably certain they're all correct, though, based on other
> 501c3's I'm familiar with both personally and professionally: you don't
> *have* to be volunteer: salary, expenses, just no dividends or (I
> think) retained earnings.

	The non-profit that I worked for when I was in college tended
to squander money at the end of the year as if they had to make two
sets of numbers line up. They tended to spend it on odd sorts of things.
It's a shame they never spread it around to the employees... at least
not the rank+file ones.

[deletia]

	I think the problems that board members might get into are sort
of specific to board members in general and not necessarily a function of
the company being a non-profit. It's probably a sort of IRS version of
whack-a-mole.