[mythtv-users] Is mythtv threaded

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 11 19:46:08 UTC 2007

Kevin Hulse wrote:

>>> I know that Transcoding is not threaded as my second cpu never goes
>>> over 5% when I am transcoding a single mpeg.
>> Sounds like whatever you're using to transcode (ffmpeg?) was not
>> compiled with threading support.
>
> 	...that is a GOOD thing.
>
> 	The fact that badly behaiving processes have a sort of physical
> limitation with respect to how much of the system they can soak up is
> actually very good in the end.
>
> 	You don't really want to give something that can infact take
> over the whole box the capacity to actually do so.

Maybe. I do my transcoding on a separate machine, and when it is
performing such a task that's all I ask of that machine at that time. So
if the transcode wants to take over the whole box so much the better, it
will probably finish faster :-)

(Incidently I've run some transcodes on a PS3, really flies, faster than
my AMD FX60 even with the limited RAM of the PS3)

But I agree, if transcoding on a Myth box it's probably best to limit
what it can do in some way.

beww