[mythtv-users] Advice - Upgrade Backend/Frontend combo or new dedicated frontend

David Shay david at shay.net
Wed Sep 12 02:04:09 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, Kisner, Thomas <tkisner at necunified.com> wrote:
<snip>

>  I was thinking to make my current box a dedicated backend and move it
> into the closet, and get a smaller (micro ATX) dedicated frontend.  But the
> frontend would have to be over wireless.  Does anybody play HD 1080i to a
> frontend over wireless (802.11 B or G)?  Does it work well?

Others have addressed the CPU issues.  As for the wireless, I would say that
you would be quite lucky if wireless worked for you.  If you were doing it
over relatively low distance and had very low interference factors, it might
work.  For me, it didn't.  If you search the archives, I believe you will
find a few sparse reports of it working, but on the whole, I wouldn't count
on it at all.

In my case, instead of running cable, I opted for the Powerline HD stuff.  I
went with the Netgear, reviewed in CNet here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/bridges/netgear-powerline-hd-ethernet/4505-3304_7-31970278.html

You can get one at J&R for about $79 for one (you need a pair at a
minimum...)  For me, this is enough to run about 2 HD streams
simultaneously, just barely.  YMMV, depending upon house size, wiring, etc.

Just one alternative.