[mythtv-users] HDMI or DVI

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Sep 12 06:23:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Mitch Gore wrote:

> I am curious if going to DVI/HDMI will give me better picture quality.
> Anyone know?

Yes it should. It's digital end-to-end, component is analogue.

> Also,  which will be easier to configure/setup.  Basically will xorg
> configure a hdmi display device and configure it as a regular computer
> monitor or will i need modelines/tv out settings?  I assume DVI would just
> click and be working.  Right?

DVI/HDMI is the same thing when it comes to picture. HDMI has added wires
to carry sound as well, but the picture part is identical. You can
purchase HDMI<->DVI adapters that are just wire converters, no logic in
them. About modeline, I created a special modeline for my 1080p TV to get
it working properly.

> Also for future growth with HD-DVD/Blue-Ray players can i use a HDMI->DVI
> adapter (and get full res)?  I dont want to have to buy 2 cables.

Yes, I have done this. I have a 7600GT with HDMI out, and I have
converters to go back and forth, I have connected a DVI monitor to the
HDMI port, and a HDMI TV to a DVI out, it works with the correct adapter.

Mind you, running 1080p60 means you have to have a good cable, I've tried
and failed with a 10 meter cheap cable (you get green flicker in the
picture), and it worked properly with a 15 meter more expensive cable
(approx $60, so still fairly cheap). The cheaper cable worked ok at
1080i60.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se