[mythtv-users] I am an idiot - deleted everything without DB backup - a question...

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:31:46 UTC 2007

On 12/09/2007, Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/8/07, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Oh, and I have to get myself a backup command to automatically put a
> > > backup somewhere else on the network. That or don't do Myth rebuilds
> > > when I haven't had enough sleep....
> > >

> > I make a backup my mythtv database every night with a cron job:
> >
> > # cat /etc/cron.daily/mythtv.cron
> > #! /bin/sh
> > mkdir -p /var/backup/mythtv
> > /usr/bin/mysqldump -u mythtv mythconverg | /bin/bzip2 -c >
> > /var/backup/mythtv/mythtv-`date +%F`.bz2

Has anyone using thiese scripts taken measures to prevent mythtv
shutting the system down while they are in progress.  Maybe your
systems are 'always on', but I have my combined back/frontend
configured to shutdown on idle.

I'm guessing the only real problem would be that the backup wouldn't
complete, but I'am just slightly wary of causing some database
corruption.