[mythtv-users] Intermittent MythTV failure

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 11:35:08 UTC 2007

David Watkins wrote:
>>> It was all this sort of stuff.  I've no idea what it means, but it
>>> doesn't look healthy and I don't get it in my backend log.
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Junk in packet
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid clut depth 0x13!
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Junk in packet
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid y position!
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid object location!
>>> 2007-08-20 10:58:30.284 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Junk in packet
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid y position!
>>> DVBSub error: line overflow
>>> DVBSub error: line overflow
>>> 2007-08-20 10:58:31.713 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Junk in packet
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid y position!
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid object location!
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Junk in packet
>>> DVBSub error: line overflow
>>> [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid object location!
>>> 2007-08-20 10:58:37.190 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
>>> 2007-08-20 10:58:40.765 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
>>> </snip>
>>
>> Ok, I rarely get time to tweak my myth setup, but I have a couple of
>> hours on Thursday evening. What should my plan of attack be to try and
>> either fix or at least find the cause of the problem in the shortest
>> amount of time.
>>
>> My current plan is to take out the TV cards one at a time, try to start
>> Myth and see if those errors show up in the backend log again.
>>
>> Do I need to reconfigure myth setup each time I change a card to tell it
>> what to expect, or just run myth?
>
> My guess is that you probably don't need to reconfigure to temporarily
> remove one of your cards.  However the missing card would generate
> errors so, to clear the decks, I would reconfigure once, to tell it
> you've got a single card.  Then, once you've done that you shouldn't
> need to do it again while swapping cards over, assuming:
>
> - Your two cards are identical
> - You don't have any clever udev rules that try to install a
> particular card address onto a particular device.
>
> So what I'd do is:
>
> 1)  Backup your database
> 2)  Remove one of your capture cards.
> 3)  Run mythtv-setup and "delete all capture cards"
> 4)  Add one capture card
> 5)  Associate the card you just added with your existing source.
>
> Then you should be good to go.
>
> Good Luck

Thanks for that David

The last time I looked at the backend log, I did it by quickly loading
it into gedit as soon as I came out of Myth so that I could cut and
paste the info. Is that the best way to do it?

Also, could I be cheeky and save myself a search by asking you for the
best way to back up my database? That database was the bane of my
existence for a few weeks and I'm scared of doing anything with it!

Thanks for your help
Damian