[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 12 16:21:11 UTC 2007

R. G. Newbury wrote:

> Hmmm. My experience is that often the parties agree to settle and either
> cover their own costs, or the settlement figure is an inclusive one,
> where the party covers his costs out of the gross amount, or as is more
> comnon where the claim is a good one, but the fight is about the
> damages, there is an allowance above the agreed damages, for the costs
> of the party. That number is a 'out of thin air' guesstimate by the
> lawyers as to what might be a reasonable figure and doesn't necessarily
> match what the actual costs are.

But you live in a civilized country.

There's probably a big difference between actual court cases and
arbitrations. Judges are very reluctant to overturn arbitrator's
decisions. Usually if they do so it is on procedural grounds and not the
merits of the case.

We won one case though, and the other party took it to court to try and
get it overturned, going so far as to petition for a writ of cert, which
was denied (of course).

beww