[mythtv-users] HDMI or DVI

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Wed Sep 12 16:56:40 UTC 2007

>>> And? ;-)
>>
>> digital transmission is lossless

>My PS3 looks better over component than HDMI both running at 1080p. I
>imagine it has to do with how the display handles each of the inputs
>and the quality of the cables used.

Yes. And on how the PS3 generates the analog signal from
the digital source.

>Although I am not a lawyer, I
>would have to say the answer is, "it depends".

Yes.

I was trying to answer 'why it depends'. And I think if you have
a situation where analog looks better and you figure out why
then you might be able to 'fix' it and then digital will look
better. (or you'll uncover a new problem :-)

In your case perhaps the analog is be smoothing/fuzzing/smearing
away the compression artifacts. You could get the same result
digitally if you were on a PC and smoothing is often applied
to compressed video to hide those artifacts.

If that's what's happening then you won't be able to fix it
until the PS3 goes open source :-)

Just for grins, you might try hdmi and then reducing sharpness
in the TV.