[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Sep 12 17:15:30 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2007, at 8:10 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> If the loser pays, the people will not bring frivoulous lawsuits.
>
> Right, I understand that that's the goal.  My fear is that it would
> also discourage people from bringing non-frivolous ones against
> powerful corporations, for fear they'd be hit with a whopping legal
> bill -- not just from their own attorney, but from the dozens of
> attorneys on the corporation's staff -- should they happen to lose.

And on the other side of the equation, the corporation can get hit with
a swiving bill when the day of reckoning comes against a party who they
thought they could intimidate with paper but could not. Or the
corporation so overplayed their position that there was no chance BUT to
fight. See RIAA v Tanya Andersen for example. Even a cornered hamster
can deliver a mean bite.

Most costs regimes do not allow for unlimited time to be thrown at a
case by a party.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor
       Suite 106, 150 Lakeshore Road West