[mythtv-users] OT: OpenMoko

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Sep 12 18:14:09 UTC 2007

> I gotta say--as the guy who couldn't sleep until the guy in the hotel
> room next to his stopped PTT'ing with his wife at 2:00am--that PTT
> typically ruins it (my mood) for me.  :)  (Does the beep/conversation
> volume have to be that loud?)
>
> Besides, my provider doesn't offer PTT, so it won't be a downside for me
> (although finding a use for a PTT button without PTT would have been an
> interesting challenge--made possible by the free platform :).
>
> Mike

I've seen some articles on the OpenMoko and done some reading on the web
site. One thing I haven't seen that one of you might know the answer to.
The site says ATT/Cingular is a supported carrier. Once the OpenMoko
becomes more usable (developers do their thing, etc), how would one
convert to it? I have a Cingular 8525 right now that has a SIM card.
Would that SIM card simply be able to be installed in the OpenMoko or
does something else have to happen to switch phones?

I would love to be able to easily sync my contacts with Evolution. It
CAN be done with my 8525 running Window$ Mobile, but you have to jump
through hoops. Right now I have Outlook running in a VM that holds my
contacts to sync.

I'm looking to able to sync Evolution contacts/tasks/calendar/etc, have
a decent/usable phone, and be able to play videos/mp3s. PTT is not a big
issue to me other than it would be nice to have another button to
possibly program. I can do something similar with the 8525.

I'll be watching the OpenMoko project. I'm not a huge developer, but I
love open source and the freedoms that it can provide.

Thanks,
James