[mythtv-users] OT: OpenMoko

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 19:44:45 UTC 2007

On 9/12/07, Ivan Kowalenko <kichigaimentat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2007, at 14.33, joe.white at wachovia.com wrote:
>
> > mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org wrote on 09/12/2007 02:14:09 PM:
> >
> > > I've seen some articles on the OpenMoko and done some reading on
> > the web
> > > site. One thing I haven't seen that one of you might know the
> > answer to.
> > > The site says ATT/Cingular is a supported carrier. Once the OpenMoko
> > > becomes more usable (developers do their thing, etc), how would one
> > > convert to it? I have a Cingular 8525 right now that has a SIM card.
> > > Would that SIM card simply be able to be installed in the
> > OpenMoko or
> > > does something else have to happen to switch phones?
>
> The GSM standard was basically built so all you have to do is move
> the SIM card from one phone to another. American GSM cell providers
> (AT&T and T-Mobile) lock their phones so you can't use them with
> anyone else's SIM cards. They will, in some situations provide you an
> unlock code, but that's not what we're talking about.
>
> The Neo1973 is an unlocked phone, so all you have to do is put your
> SIM card in there and have at it! However, if you want to use data
> services, you need to configure them on your phone. AT&T will NOT
> provide support for phones they don't sell to you, but you can
> extrapolate all of the information you'll need from their Knowledge
> Base.
>
> [snip]
>
> > > I'll be watching the OpenMoko project. I'm not a huge developer,
> > but I
> > > love open source and the freedoms that it can provide.
>
> Me too, but I'm waiting until the "consumer" version is available,
> since that version will include WiFi.
>
> > I talked to an AT&T rep the other week about switching to an
> > externally purchased phone, and what-all it would entail on my part
> > and on theirs.  The rep indicated that all I would need to do is to
> > remove the sim card from Phone A and place it into Phone B and then
> > call them and provide the IMEI for Phone B and (voila!)  all would
> > be well.
>
> That AT&T Rep is a lying bastard. I'm sorry, but he's wrong. Not to
> say he's a bad person, but his script is completely wrong. All you
> have to do is move the SIM card from one phone to another, and you
> can make calls as well as send and receive text messages.
>
> All will NOT be well if you want to use other data services (MMS and
> Internet/WAP access). AT&T will NOT help you configure those. Even if
> you have a Windows Mobile phone, running the same WinMo version as
> one of their devices, they will do NOTHING to help you configure it.
> Fortunately, they DO provide steps on how to configure all their
> WinMo phones in their Knowledge Base, and anyone bright enough to use
> an OpenMoko surely can extrapolate the information out of that
> information.
>
> You DON'T have to give them your IMEI. That is a completely
> [...]

I bought a used AT&T phone from another customer and put my AT&T SIM
in it.  I did not contact customer service or give them an IMEI.  When
I went to the website they had the new phone, including the correct
color, in the details of "my phone."  The phone must report details
along with whatever SIM identitifer it sends.