[mythtv-users] Early exit

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 22:02:00 UTC 2007

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Damian wrote:
>> I have a new problem on my mythbox where viewing any program simply
>> stops about a minute before the end. If watching live tv, The display
>> just stops and the front end says there was an error. I can then click
>> ok and quickly try to get back to the channel before the credits roll.
>> If watching a recording, the saved file is simply too short. I assume it
>> stopped recording at the same point that the live tv would have crashed
>> out. Any idea what this is?
>>
>> Maybe it only happens on BBC? I've not tested that actually, but we do
>> seem to watch more BBC than anything else. I struggle with stuttery
>> playback on BBC when most other channels seem fine so maybe there's
>> something weird going on there?
>>
>> I rarely get time to tweak my myth setup, but I do have a couple of
>> hours on Thursday evening so I'm hoping to iron out a few wrinkles then.
>>
>> Looking forward to hearing any thoughts.
>
> Is the time set correctly on the computer? If it is 1 minute fast you
> will get what you see.
>
> Have you inadvertently set a default recording rule which finishes
> early? The settings in Setup-> General will not let you do that, only
> finish late, but without looking ISTR that you can set individual time
> frames in the Record Options..
>
> Geoff

That was my first thought for the recordings, but it wouldn't explain
why watching live TV crashes out just before the end of a program would it?

I'll try and get some frontend and backend output the next time it
happens? What's the best way of doing that by the way? Running the
frontend from the command line and putting the backend log into gedit as
soon as there's a problem?

Cheers
Damian