[mythtv-users] I am an idiot - deleted everything without DB backup - a question...

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 23:44:11 UTC 2007

On 9/12/07, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone using thiese scripts taken measures to prevent mythtv
> shutting the system down while they are in progress.  Maybe your
> systems are 'always on', but I have my combined back/frontend
> configured to shutdown on idle.
>
> I'm guessing the only real problem would be that the backup wouldn't
> complete, but I'am just slightly wary of causing some database
> corruption.

Using the 'mysqldump' method will not cause database corruption.  This
method simply reads the data (no writing) and outputs it in
human-readable text format.  If your machine were to shut down during
a backup, all that would happen is that the running backup would die
before it finished.  The mysqld process should shut down gracefully
without corrupting the actual data.  Your backup may be no good
though. :)

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe at gmail.com