[mythtv-users] My first MythTv box, first linux box and first build

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 03:24:11 UTC 2007

On 9/12/07, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/12/07, Chuck Rudolph <rudolph4404 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >  I'm tired of VHS tapes and multiple VCRs so I've decided to build a
> > MythTV box.
> > This will be my first Linux machine and my first build.
> > I'm looking for recommendations to the following. Over built? Under
> > built? Too noisy?
> >
> > I wanted some room for expansion - more disk and capture cards.
> > I'd also like it quite. It'll be in the entertainment cabinet with the
> > TV.
> > The TV is not digital and wont be for a few years yet.
> > I have 3 different inputs:
> >
> >     - analog cable
> >    - cable converter box for scrambled channels - Motorola
> >    DCT2224/1662/ACDEG
> >       - It has a 9 pin Female D connector labeled data
> >       - It has what looks like a phono plug labeled IR
> >    - and the afore mentioned VCR - I'd like to get rid of some of
> >    those tapes...
> >

>  wow, thats alot of storage.  I would stay away from LVM.  also why do
> raid 5?  You going to loose alot of storage.  is you TV that important to
> you?  I would mount each drive on a differant point then add them in storage
> groups.  This way if one dies you will only loose that disks recording and
> the rest of the system will be fine.
>
> One thing maybe you already have it but what about a DVD burner?  Are you
> going to want to rip your DVD collection to your Myth box?  Or archive you
> recording to native Myth backups or regular DVD's?
>

> overall good chioces.  This advice comes from lesenser learned from buying
> the wrong hardware and suffering or buying the right hardware and then
> having to rebuy stuff to upgrade to my needs.  This system will really do
> alot and has lots of room for expansion.  For only doing SD now its going to
> be way overkill.  When you move to HD it will still be overkill but it will
> be nice to get the fast comm flaggin and transcoding.
>
> let me know how it turns out for you
>
> Mitchell

I would definitely call that insane overkill for an SD only box.  Look at it
this way, instead of spending $1100 on an HD capable but SD only box now,
you could spend $400 on an SD only box now, and put that extra $700 in the
bank, and then use it to but an even more powerful HD box a year from now.

I, for one, really enjoy the freedom that having multiple myth systems
allows me -  I can have my backend running on older, slower SD hardware, and
then tinker with the new frontend stuff without worrying about  missing
recordings on the backend.

Alternatively, you could scale back on the computer components and get an HD
box + a small HD monitor for the same $1100 you have budgeted right now.

I'll be back shortly with my suggestions....

-chris

--
TV/IT Engineer
WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL