[mythtv-users] My first MythTv box, first linux box and first build

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Thu Sep 13 08:26:15 UTC 2007

Chuck Rudolph wrote:

*snip*

> SILVERSTONE SST-LC17-B Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8 mm SECC body ATX Media Center / HTPC Desktop Computer Case - Retail
> Model #: SST-LC17-B
> Item #: N82E16811163055
> $139.99 -$20.00 Instant   $119.99

Small gotcha on this case (I have this exact model):  The front optical
bays.  Those tiny panel bits on the front?  They attach to your optical
drive via double stick tape.  Had I known this previously, I would have
picked up something like a LC-20 or SST-LC16B.

*snip*

> XCLIO STABLEPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail
> Model #: STABLEPOWER 500W
> Item #: N82E16817189014
> $69.99   $69.99 - Tried a couple of the online PSU calculators which told me I need something at least 440W.

Spend the extra money on a quiet power supply.  My personal favorite is
Seasonic.  They cost a bit more, but they are well worth it for the
extra efficiency and low noise level.

> AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5600CZBOX - Retail
> Model #: ADA5600CZBOX
> Item #: N82E16819103771
> $149.50   $149.50

Planning on watching 1080i without needing any hardware acceleration?
If not, this is major overkill.  There are systems running 3800+ dual
cores playing back 1080i without any hardware assist from the video card.

> Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/2G - OEM
> Model #: KVR800D2N5K2/2G
> Item #: N82E16820134117
> $119.99   $119.99

As others have said, stick with about a gig of RAM.  If this is to be a
dedicated Myth machine, generally anything over a gig is wasted.

My own system is a P4 Northwood core overclocked to 2.8 GHz from 2.26
with an 6200 AGP video card and 512 megs of RAM.  Output to the
television via component, resolution of 800x600, and I am able to watch
1080i shows from the local digital transmissions with no problems at
all, automagically rescaled on the fly.

For straight standard def stuff, your system specs have insane amounts
of overkill, especially considering you are looking at getting a
hardware encoding tuner card. :-)