[mythtv-users] Distro Preferences

Paul Mason latepaul at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 13:27:17 UTC 2007

On 13/09/2007, Eric Robinson <ryunokokoro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Mason wrote:
> > I quite fancy trying Mythbuntu or Mythdora or  KnoppMyth at some
> > point. However since I am currently running an SVN version of Myth
> > then I need to run the same version if I want to copy over my existing
> > database and recordings. Plus there are a couple of new features that
> > I've gotten quite used to.
> >
> > --
> > Paul Mason
>
> I'm planning on using Mythbuntu for my first go at the backend.  I am,
> however, curious about those new features you mention enjoying so much.
> Which ones would they be?

Now you've got me! I said that because I fired up my old proof-of-concept
Myth box for the first time in months the other day and there were a few
things that I noticed were missing. They're mostly small things that just
work slightly better. I can't remember what they all were. One is that I
like the way it handles when you're watch LiveTV and it needs the tuner. You
used to get a message box telling you to go to the recordings menu, now you
get a funky screen overlay with an option to choose a current recording to
watch.

MythArchive seems more stable for me. It was always a bit hit and miss
creating DVDs before whereas now I can pretty much rely on it.

MythWeb has the ability to stream recordings. I know there are other methods
that work with 0.20 actually the current SVN implementation isn't all there
yet - but it's still quite impressive.

Then there's storage groups - which seems to be the killer feature for a lot
of folks, but actually I don't use them.

--
Paul Mason